POSITION: Sr. Mechanical Engineer
JOB TYPE: Full-Time, On-Site
LOCATION: VA Medical Center, Canandaigua, NY
SteerBridge seeks a Mechanical Engineer (ME) to support construction and renovation efforts for the Department of Veterans Affairs at the VA Medical Center (VAMC) located in Canandaigua, NY.
The ME will have responsibilities that include but are not limited to the administration of construction, design/build, engineering and facilities management complex-construction projects. Services will include, but not limited to, pre-design phase services, design phase services, procurement phase services, construction services, claims services, administration services, and technical specialty services.
Work will be performed at the VA Medical Center located at 400 Fort Hill Ave, Canandaigua, NY 14424.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must be eligible and able to obtain a Public Trust Clearance (i.e., pass a Federal background check), as well as complete the necessary processes to receive a VA Personal Identity Verification (PIV) badge.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Fire Protection Engineering or Construction Management from an accredited institution of higher learning or licensed to practice in the United States.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience practicing mechanical engineering.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience inspecting mechanical construction.
- Additional consideration will be given to candidates who possess a current professional engineering license registration and maintenance of same throughout tenure.
- Additional consideration will be given for an Engineer’s license registered in New York.
RELEVANT PROJECT EXPERIENCE
- Experience reviewing design and construction plans against existing site conditions.
- Experience in the resolution of unforeseen site and design conditions/problems and propose cost effective technical solutions.
- Experience conducting inspections and inventories of such structures to identify and note deficiencies, problems, or the general physical condition of such structures.
- Additional consideration will be given for ME who possesses experience working in the state of New York.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of all aspects of commercial hospital mechanical construction including but not limited to underground mechanical installation, medical gas systems, domestic water systems, chilled water systems, and steam systems.
- Knowledge of low Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems, testing and balancing, operations, sheet metal duct systems and control systems including direct digital controls.
- Knowledge of conveying systems including electric dumbwaiters and materials lifts, electric traction elevators, hydraulic elevators, pneumatic tube systems, and uniform dispensing equipment.
- Knowledge of mechanical design and installation for specialized medical and laboratory equipment including but not limited to MRI, PET, CT, audiometric booths, fume hoods, biological safety cabinets, and sterilization equipment.
- Ability to provide cost estimates and take-offs for the mechanical contract modifications.
- Ability to determine compliance of workmanship, materials, equipment and installed work with contract requirements and industry standards.
- Working knowledge and understanding of building, safety, and environmental codes.
- Working knowledge of environmental, civil, safety, architectural and structural fields.
- Knowledge of governmental contracting procedures, principles, guidelines and public law.
- Ability to utilize a variety of software programs to monitor, update, and produce work products by applying knowledge of computer literacy.
- Ability to exercise good interpersonal skills.
SteerBridge Strategies is committed to equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. SteerBridge Strategies will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities in accordance with applicable law.